- 1 in 5 Americans with health insurance still struggle with medical debt
- 30 million Americans every year ignore necessary medical care due to cost and past medical debt
- The #1 reason for personal bankruptcy in the US is medical debt
- More than a quarter of Americans say health care expenses have taken a "serious toll" on their families finances
- 60% of insured Americans with medical debts will blow through "most or all" of their savings paying them
- Over 11 Million Americans this year will add credit card debt to pay medical expenses
- 10 Million Americans this month will forego basic necessities because of their medical bills
- 44 Million or 20% of US adults have delinquent medical debts on their credit report impacting their credit scores and for 15 million it is their only tradelines reporting.
- A medical collection on average will drop a consumer's credit score by over 100 points
- The credit damage done by a medical collection is repeated each time a new collection agency purchases and reports the debt
- Almost half of all collection accounts come from medical debt
- Medical debt is one of the only services where you cannot accurately comparison shop multiple providers
- 28 Million Americans are estimated to be without health insurance, and are required to pay their medical bills in full
- The US spends more per person on healthcare than any other country, but despite this ranks dead last in life expectancy out of the 12 wealthiest industrialized countries
How Can I Help?
Since LAD is a 501(c)(3) charity, every dollar you donate can be written off as a tax deduction. We rely on funding from individuals, businesses and organizations to make our mission possible. LAD targets a 1:250 ratio of funds raised to debt forgiven which means that a donation of $100 forgives up to $25,000 in debt. Additionally, LAD fundraises separately for our operations costs to make sure that every penny you donate on our site today goes directly to forgiving medical debt. Help us end medical debt by donating today!